POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New Computer : Re: New Computer Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:19:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New Computer
From: Stephen
Date: 16 Aug 2009 10:50:21
Message: <r07g85h00g4186pguk2in7b7kub3adtp7i@4ax.com>
On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 14:09:32 +0100, Orchid XP v8 <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

>Of course, I have no serious *intention* of making more than about a
>dozen bytes of RAM using only NAND gates. ;-)

Surprise me :D

> But I'm aware that way back in prehistoric times, they used to do it this way.

Back in prehistoric days, at least when I started working in computing, RAM was
ferrite-core memory. Literally ferrite or ceramic toroids threaded with wires to
store information via the polarity of the magnetic fields.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_memory

>No wonder computers cost more that housing estates - they were *bigger*
>than housing estates! :-D

It was the air conditioning that took up the room :)
--

Regards
     Stephen