POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New Computer Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:14:21 EDT (-0400)
  New Computer (Message 11 to 20 of 79)
From: Daniel Bastos
Subject: Re: New Computer
Date: 13 Aug 2009 14:47:30
Message: <4a845fc2@news.povray.org>
In article <web.4a8416c5481dd0af6dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>,
Bill Pragnell wrote:

> Has anyone ever run the benchmark on an abacus?

Taking this seriously, an abacus is not comparable to a computer. The
abacus is like... just the RAM memory. We need a processor.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 13 Aug 2009 14:56:16
Message: <4a8461d0@news.povray.org>
Daniel Bastos <dbastos+0### [at] toledocom> wrote:
> Taking this seriously, an abacus is not comparable to a computer. The
> abacus is like... just the RAM memory. We need a processor.

  Actually an abacus is more like one single integer register (or a few,
if you split the "bits" among several "registers"). It could only be used
to store and manipulate one value (or a couple) at a time. You would not
only need a processor to actually execute the raytracing opcodes, but you
would also need some external "RAM" to store intermediate results. The abacus
by itself is certainly not enough for any of this.

  (Not to talk that an abacus probably wouldn't have enough "bits" to do
any kind of sensible raytracing anyways.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> Daniel Bastos <dbastos+0### [at] toledocom> wrote:
>> Taking this seriously, an abacus is not comparable to a computer. The
>> abacus is like... just the RAM memory. We need a processor.
>
>   Actually an abacus is more like one single integer register (or a few,
> if you split the "bits" among several "registers"). It could only be used
> to store and manipulate one value (or a couple) at a time. You would not
> only need a processor to actually execute the raytracing opcodes, but you
> would also need some external "RAM" to store intermediate results. The abacus
> by itself is certainly not enough for any of this.

Hm. I don't really know how an abacus works. I only have a vague idea,
which is (or was): you move those beads to remind you of numbers. :-)
So I said: well, that's just RAM.

Anyway, I could go out on the web to find out how it works, but if you
feel like, why not explain it to a slow person?

>   (Not to talk that an abacus probably wouldn't have enough "bits" to do
> any kind of sensible raytracing anyways.)

Indeed. But we can imagine a huge one?

Post a reply to this message