POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New Computer : Re: Could you try to run the benchmark with 32-bit binaries? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:24:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Could you try to run the benchmark with 32-bit binaries?
From: clipka
Date: 13 Aug 2009 18:10:45
Message: <4a848f65$1@news.povray.org>
TC schrieb:
> Then I pondered the idea of a
> 64-bit XP instead of the 32-bit I am currently using. Decided against it
> because of possible driver-problems and because I had no idea if it really
> would be a lot faster. I did not really see much sense in using 64-bit
> Vista - I hate the Vista OS from the bottom of my heart.

When I bought the i7, I had the dealer install Windows 7 on it, having
heard that its UI fixed a lot of annoyances in Vista (which I never
tested, btw).

Two days later I had them order XP Professional x64 Edition for me.

Works like a charm.

BTW, 64 bit is not mainly about speed, but support for more memory. You
know, when rendering scenes with 8 GB of texture data and such...