POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bokeh, blurring, and POV-Ray Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:25:02 EDT (-0400)
  Bokeh, blurring, and POV-Ray (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Mike Raiford
Subject: Bokeh, blurring, and POV-Ray
Date: 12 Aug 2009 08:06:05
Message: <4a82b02d@news.povray.org>
Apologies for the on-topic post...

Has anyone given any thought to altering the blur kernel in POVRay?
Currently it's rectangular, but really should be a Gaussian, I believe,
or at least allow for circular, with or without falloff.

What would be extra nice would be to add the ability to define number of
  aperture blades, whether the blades are curved, and the "structure" of
the bokeh (e.g. With some lenses, the circle of confusion is rather
constant, others have a fall off toward the edges, while others get
brighter at the edges (though, this is considered bad bokeh)) It would
lend some nice realism to scenes that use focal blur, I think...

IIRC, someone had set up a scene to do just that a while back, actually
doing it in SDL.

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

> Has anyone given any thought to altering the blur kernel in POVRay?

I'll be brief:

uses obstructed rays.

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.47bf5650425b71eaae42298f0

    while( ! in_circle )
         try_again

Shameless example of use:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.47c26b5e8e18150dae42298f0

http://pov.monde.free.fr/mael/mlpov081eng.html

> IIRC, someone had set up a scene to do just that a while back, actually
> doing it in SDL.

Hey, I poke my head in for five minutes and my work comes up!  I therefore
conclude that I'm the topic of many lively discussions!  Please, I need this.
Really though, I apologize that the right convergence of desire and opportunity
never came up so that I could learn how to patch POV properly and make something
people can use.  Now isn't the time either--of course--but maybe it needs to be
done.

 - Ricky

Post a reply to this message