POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bokeh, blurring, and POV-Ray : Bokeh, blurring, and POV-Ray Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:24:37 EDT (-0400)
  Bokeh, blurring, and POV-Ray
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 12 Aug 2009 08:06:05
Message: <4a82b02d@news.povray.org>
Apologies for the on-topic post...

Has anyone given any thought to altering the blur kernel in POVRay?
Currently it's rectangular, but really should be a Gaussian, I believe,
or at least allow for circular, with or without falloff.

What would be extra nice would be to add the ability to define number of
  aperture blades, whether the blades are curved, and the "structure" of
the bokeh (e.g. With some lenses, the circle of confusion is rather
constant, others have a fall off toward the edges, while others get
brighter at the edges (though, this is considered bad bokeh)) It would
lend some nice realism to scenes that use focal blur, I think...

IIRC, someone had set up a scene to do just that a while back, actually
doing it in SDL.

--
~Mike