POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Backward Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:25:40 EDT (-0400)
  Backward (Message 14 to 23 of 33)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Backward
Date: 14 Aug 2009 06:19:07
Message: <4a853a1b@news.povray.org>
>> OTOH, last time I tried to set up a virtual machine, it took two days
>> just to install Windows XP and update to service pack 3. That's quite
>> absurdly slow...
>
> You need better hardware.  It should never take that much time to install
> an OS - in my VMs, it never took that long....
>
> What specs on the machine (including host OS)?

 From memory, it was a 4 GHz Pentium IV with 512 MB RAM, running QEMU.

(The laptops I'm looking at using are this spec or worse.)

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 Aug 2009 19:52:23
Message: <4a85f8b7$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 11:19:06 +0100, Invisible wrote:

>>> OTOH, last time I tried to set up a virtual machine, it took two days
>>> just to install Windows XP and update to service pack 3. That's quite
>>> absurdly slow...
>>
>> You need better hardware.  It should never take that much time to
>> install an OS - in my VMs, it never took that long....
>>
>> What specs on the machine (including host OS)?
>
>  From memory, it was a 4 GHz Pentium IV with 512 MB RAM, running QEMU.
>
> (The laptops I'm looking at using are this spec or worse.)

Memory would be the issue here, no wonder it took forever to install, it
was probably swapping fiercely.

For good virtualization, you really need to have at least 1 or 2 GB of
memory.  Insufficient host memory can lead to serious performance
problems.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

>>> You need better hardware.  It should never take that much time to
>>> install an OS - in my VMs, it never took that long....
>>>
>>> What specs on the machine (including host OS)?
>>  From memory, it was a 4 GHz Pentium IV with 512 MB RAM, running QEMU.
>>
>> (The laptops I'm looking at using are this spec or worse.)
>
> Memory would be the issue here, no wonder it took forever to install, it
> was probably swapping fiercely.
>
> For good virtualization, you really need to have at least 1 or 2 GB of
> memory.  Insufficient host memory can lead to serious performance
> problems.

It didn't seem to be swapping *at all*. Hardly any HD activity. Just
100% CPU, constantly.

I've heard people claim that the problem is QEMU - which is a user-mode
hardware emulator rather than a virtualisation program that runs most
code natively... but having never seen any other VM product, I don't
know if it makes much difference.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 07:13:56 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>>  From memory, it was a 4 GHz Pentium IV with 512 MB RAM, running QEMU.
>>>
>>> (The laptops I'm looking at using are this spec or worse.)
>>
>> Memory would be the issue here, no wonder it took forever to install,
>> it was probably swapping fiercely.
>>
>> For good virtualization, you really need to have at least 1 or 2 GB of
>> memory.  Insufficient host memory can lead to serious performance
>> problems.
>
> It didn't seem to be swapping *at all*. Hardly any HD activity. Just
> 100% CPU, constantly.

If for some reason the guest OS isn't relinquishing control to the host
(which can happen), that also would explain it.  But if your host OS
requires 256 MB to run and the guest requires 256 MB to run, there's no
memory left for the actual virtualization software, so it has to get
memory from somewhere.

512 MB is a fairly low spec for any system doing virtualization,
regardless of the software.  My bet is still on memory.

> I've heard people claim that the problem is QEMU - which is a user-mode
> hardware emulator rather than a virtualisation program that runs most
> code natively... but having never seen any other VM product, I don't
> know if it makes much difference.

Grab VMware Server from http://www.vmware.com - it's free.  Not quite as
easy to use as VMware Workstation, but WS is a pay-for product.

Jim

Post a reply to this message