POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Backward : Re: Backward Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:21:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Backward
From: scott
Date: 17 Aug 2009 08:49:04
Message: <4a8951c0$1@news.povray.org>
> We have some equipment in our lab. It needs a computer to control it.
> Unfortunately, the control software requires somebody to be logged in. As
> soon as you log out, it quits the control program, halting the machine.

Can't you just lock the machine instead of logging off?

> Except that the control software stubbornly, repeatedly *refuses* to
> believe me that the USB serial port actually exists. Every other piece of
> software I've tried can access it without issue. But not the one piece of
> software that we *need* to access it. No sir. Not interested. It can "see"
> the port, but it refuses to *select* that port. And nothing I've done so
> far seems to convince it to work.

OOC what COM port number is assigned to the USB COM port?  If it's higher
than 4 then you might try changing it to 4 or below (you can usually do it
from device manager under the properties of the USB-COM adapter).  Some
older programs don't like working with things like COM7 which those USB
converters typically come up as.