POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Backward : Re: Backward Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:18:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Backward
From: Invisible
Date: 18 Aug 2009 04:19:55
Message: <4a8a642b@news.povray.org>
>> Then the *other* piece of software running on the computer wouldn't be
>> able to log audit events under the correct username.
>
> Why not?  If it can log them under the correct username when nobody is
> logged on, why shouldn't it be able to do it when someone else is logged
> on?

The program continues to run with nobody logged on, and continues to
execute any instructions it has been given. However, to give it
instructions, you have to log on, and it records the username of the
person giving the instructions. If we had a single logon, there would be
no record of who issued those instructions.

>> Under Windows, any processes started by a user ordinarily get
>> terminated when that user logs off. Unless they do something special
>> to prevent this...
>
> Like what? Do most programs cope OK with running when nobody is logged
> on? I would have thought some get a bit screwed up what with there being
> no desktop or whatever.

No, I meant unless the *program* does something special to tell the OS
it wants to keep running.

It sounds like the guys at HQ are looking at trying to run our problem
software as a service somehow... We'll see if they can actually get it
to work. (I rather suspect not.)