POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's venom: Acrobat Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:26:48 EDT (-0400)
  Today's venom: Acrobat (Message 1 to 10 of 83)
From: Invisible
Subject: Today's venom: Acrobat
Date: 29 Jun 2009 06:44:19
Message: <4a489b03$1@news.povray.org>
Ah, Adobe Acrobat.

Of course, you can obtain Acrobat Reader for free. (What good is an
authoring tool without a ubiquitous platform to deploy for?) But the

But what the hell do you actually *get* for your money?

Of course you get the ability to generate PDF files. But you know what?
Any number of freeware tools can do this also. (E.g., Ghostscript can
transform PostScript to PDF. All you need is a PostScript printer driver
- and Adobe just happen to have one available for free download - print
your document to a PS file, and then have GS convert it to PDF. Done.)

My goal today was very simple:

1. Take a PDF file and remove the headers and footers.

2. Overlay one PDF file over another.

achieve this trivial goal.

As far as I can tell, Acrobat can rearrange pages, delete pages, insert
pages from other files, and this split or merge seperate PDF files. It
can rotate pages, and it allows you to edit metadata and security
restrictions.

What it does *not* appear to allow is modifications to the actual
contents of the pages. You can add [extremely limited] additional
graphics and text, but you *cannot* remove what is already there. Which
is obviously absurd. You also can't copy content from one page and paste
it onto another page, completely preventing the overlay I want to do.

In short, I've got two digital files in front of me and the premium
editor program for that file format, yet I cannot achieve my trivial
aim. I am actually going to have to PRINT THIS STUFF OUT and play with
glue and scissors. How pathetic.

Post a reply to this message

> 1. Take a PDF file and remove the headers and footers.
>
> 2. Overlay one PDF file over another.

I always thought of PDFs as the digital version of print-outs.  Think what
you would do if someone gave you two printed out sheets and asked the
above...

BTW, you might be able to find some software that renders a PDF to an image
file, then use some paint program to do what you want.

Post a reply to this message