POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's venom: Acrobat : Re: Today's venom: Acrobat Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:13:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's venom: Acrobat
From: Invisible
Date: 29 Jun 2009 08:55:51
Message: <4a48b9d7$1@news.povray.org>
>> Yeah, well, if digital printouts have only the same functionality as
>> real printouts, then they're rather pointless.
>
> Except I can send a "digital printout" to 50 different people in 5
> different countries within a few seconds from my desk, try doing that
> with real printouts :-)

Sure. But you don't need Acrobat for that, just Acrobat Reader. We paid
a shedload of money for the full Acrobat Professional package on the
expectation that it would allow us to, you know, *modify* PDF files. :-P

>> The trouble is, then the pages would be bitmap images. That means that
>> I can manipulate then with IrfanView. On the other hand, it means
>> they'll either be vastly lower resolution than the original vector
>> graphics, or they'll be absolutely huge files...
>
> What's your printer? 600dpi?  Just convert them into bitmaps using that
> resolution and do your work on it, then save them to PDF again.  It's
> quite common to work on A4 size at 600dpi on a normal PC these days...

Mmm, A4 at 600dpi. That's going to be a few megapixels...

In the end, I ended up just double-printing the damned thing. Which
meant I had to print it three times before I figured out the paper path,
scaled everything so the new headers don't overprint the document
content, and so on and so forth. All of which would have been *so* much
easier with some suitable software... but hey, Adobe has our money. Why
should they give a damn?

> Or, presumably, if you are meant to be modifying these documents, then
> you can just ask the original author for the original files to modify?
> That might be easier in the end.

Right. Because BackupExec *totally* has options for customising the
header and footer on the job logs it prints out. ;-)