POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's venom: Acrobat : Re: Today's venom: Acrobat Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:16:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's venom: Acrobat
From: Invisible
Date: 29 Jun 2009 07:53:06
Message: <4a48ab22$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> I always thought of PDFs as the digital version of print-outs.

They are. Except that unlike a PostScript page description (which is an
unstructured arbitrary Turing-complete program which may or may not
produce an image as a side-effect of its execution), a PDF file contains
sufficient metadata to be easily manipulatable. (E.g., it's not
Turing-complete, it's easy to locate a specific page, it has a bounding
box included, etc.)

> Think
> what you would do if someone gave you two printed out sheets and asked
> the above...

Yeah, well, if digital printouts have only the same functionality as
real printouts, then they're rather pointless. We may as well just use

> BTW, you might be able to find some software that renders a PDF to an
> image file, then use some paint program to do what you want.

Both Ghostscript and Acrobat will happily transform PDF into a bitmap
image. (Though Acrobat will only produce Windows Bitmap - the most
braindead image format in widespread use.)

The trouble is, then the pages would be bitmap images. That means that I
can manipulate then with IrfanView. On the other hand, it means they'll
either be vastly lower resolution than the original vector graphics, or
they'll be absolutely huge files...