POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lots of money Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:17:13 EDT (-0400)
  Lots of money (Message 9 to 18 of 28)
<<< Previous 8 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Lots of money
Date: 19 Jun 2009 07:56:11
Message: <4a3b7cdb$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> It seems to me that IT job titles vary rather greatly from company to
>> company. One company's "programmer" is another company's "business
>> analyst".
>
> Yeh that too, which makes it even harder to compare your salary with
> surveys like this.

Indeed.

I still think my point stands though: Even the most lowly position
listed is almost 2x my current salary.

>> Which is worrying, because those are rather different roles, having
>> wildly different responsibilities...
>
> I think the job roles do actually vary quite significantly.  In
> Engineering at least, one company's "Engineer" can be sat there all day
> at his desk making drawings of product designs, while at another company
> an "Engineer" would be running the project, organising testing and
> tooling schedules, working with customers and suppliers, and doing
> drawings as a minor task.  I suspect it's the same for software, the
> breadth of the role of "programmer" probably varies hugely from company
> to company, most likely depending on the size of the company.

Yeah, it seems that way.

Unfortunately, the tiny handful of programmer jobs I've found have all
been the "you are the entire development team" type.

>> I'm not quite sure how you get from "I can't get a better job" to "I
>> don't want a better job"...
>
> Well if you are only looking for jobs involving Haskell programming
> within 5 miles of your mum's house you're not going to find much :-)

Agreed. But who says that's what I'm doing? :-P

Post a reply to this message