POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : So ... when is "piracy" wrong? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:23:10 EDT (-0400)
  So ... when is "piracy" wrong? (Message 11 to 20 of 45)
From: andrel
Subject: Re: So ... when is "piracy" wrong?
Date: 9 Jun 2009 18:37:09
Message: <4A2EE415.9040506@hotmail.com>
On 10-6-2009 0:30, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 00:22:20 +0200, andrel wrote:
>
>>> No, I believe this is legal, as long as the shoutcast stream is also
>>> legal.  For example, if you run the server in your house, and you
>>> legally own all the tracks, then how you listen to them is up to you.
>> I think the idea was playing a shoutcast for a group. That is
>> broadcasting and even if the shoutcast/radio has paid you are obliged to
>> pay *again*. We had on apartment buildings large antennae that would
>> distribute the radio and television to the apartments, in stead of
>> having an antenna for every apartment. That turned the owner(s) of the
>> apartment building into a broadcasting organisation that had to pay
>> copyright. The law may be different in the US (or here in the 21st
>> century)
>
> I think that is a little different than the proposed arrangement, though
> - the proposed arrangement would be no different than tuning in a local
> radio station or putting a bunch of CDs in a multi-disc changer to listen
> to during the party.

If it is a party at home, not if it is in a party center and you did not
close the doors.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 9 Jun 2009 18:43:32
Message: <4a2ee594$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> I think the idea was playing a shoutcast for a group.

In the USA, it's a public performance, but only if you're playing it for the
public. If each person needs a personal invitation, then it's not "the
public" and hence not a public performance. FWIW.  I don't know where
tennants in an apartment fall.

You can, for example, play the radio in a restaurant as long as you have six
or fewer speakers.  All kinds of weird laws.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 00:37:09 +0200, andrel wrote:

>> I think that is a little different than the proposed arrangement,
>> though - the proposed arrangement would be no different than tuning in
>> a local radio station or putting a bunch of CDs in a multi-disc changer
>> to listen to during the party.
>
> If it is a party at home, not if it is in a party center and you did not
> close the doors.

"Party" to me implies at home as that's my most common experience.

Jim

Post a reply to this message