POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : So ... when is "piracy" wrong? : Re: So ... when is "piracy" wrong? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:16:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: So ... when is "piracy" wrong?
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 9 Jun 2009 19:16:12
Message: <4a2eed3c$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/09/09 15:49, Shay wrote:
>   A. Download an out of print album from Usenet.

	Morally, I'd say it's "mostly" OK. I've known of cases where someone
creates a work of art (e.g. book), and years later feels he was "wrong"
to do so (e.g. the book espouses a POV that is no longer shared by the
author, and he'd rather not be the reason it spreads around).

	In such cases, I can see a case for respecting the creator's wishes.

> B. Record a television program with a dvr and skip the commercials

	Really don't see a problem with this one. I don't recall signing a
contract stating that I must watch the commercials, and it's not my
fault if someone has a business model based on this not happening.

> C. Cable f's up during a favorite television program - go find a torrent
> and download it.

	If you mean "go download it", I'd probably be OK with it. Torrents and
p2p in general are tricky - it may be OK for _me_ to get it, but the
fact that I'm also sharing it with others makes it likely "wrong".

> D. Download an album you know you'd never buy out of morbid curiosity
> (Chris Cornell with Timbaland)

	Nope.

	I can understand downloading it just for a sample (which you can often
do in other ways anyway). But never cared for the argument where someone
consistently uses a product (book, software, whatever), but says it's OK
because he wouldn't have paid for it anyway.

> F. Play a Shoutcast stream at a party.

	Whether it's OK or not does not depend on whether it's a party or
you're alone. Unless it's a huge party and/or is being broadcasted.

--
Cut my pizza in six slices, please; I can't eat eight.

                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl