POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe! Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:22:46 EDT (-0400)
  iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe! (Message 1 to 10 of 87)
From: Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay
Subject: iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe!
Date: 4 Jun 2009 09:34:13
Message: <4a27cd55$1@news.povray.org>
Ok, so my daughter watched Rozen Maiden, and said, "Dad, I want that song
for my iPod."

Sounds reasonable enough.  For 99 cents, I can probably get it from iTunes.
Right?  Uh, no.  No problem, let's check Amazon.  Nope.  Hmmm...  I've got
an idea.  I bet I can get it from iTunes Japan!  I'm so smart!

So, I change my iTunes country to Japan, and do a search.  Yep!  There it
is!  Ok, let's download it for whatever it costs after converting Yen to US
dollars.  At this point, I don't care if it's $2 or $3.  Not a problem for
me.

Gee.  If I change my country to Japan and iTunes finds out that I don't
actually, physically reside there, I will get into big trouble with them.
At least that's what they say.  They'll block my account.  Dangit!  Now
what?

Well, maybe I can buy the whole album from somewhere for cheap.  Think
again!  Imported CD's cost 2 to 3 times as much as a regular CD (often $40
or more), plus I really only want this one song.

Ok, I guess it's time for me to start Googling, and hopefully I can find an
mp3 out there somewhere, and obtain the music illegally, having pretty much
exhausted all other options.  Yep.  There it is.  Whew.  I finally got it.

Ok, so let's get this thing on my daughter's iPod Shuffle.  I plug it into
my computer at work, where I downloaded the mp3, I start up iTunes and try
to copy the mp3 to it.  Uh, I can't.  Why?  Because that iPod is
synchronized with another computer.  Which computer?  One that was in my
basement, which recently got flooded.  But all the songs are on the iPod, so
can't I just copy them off onto this computer, then put them back on?
HAHAHAHA  Yeah, right!  If they allowed that, well, then you could
distribute music ILLEGALLY!  OMG!!!  IT MUST BE PREVENTED!!!

Eventually, I figured out how to copy the song file onto the iPod, but it
still won't play it, because I copied it as a file, not as a song.  Well, at
least it's on the iPod now...

Finally, I get home and hook up the old computer from the flooded basement
(the computer never got wet, but I couldn't use it down there).  After
spending an hour getting the computer up and running again, I'm finally able
to copy the mp3 (that I downloaded illegally from the Internet) from her
iPod, back onto her iPod in a playable format.

In an alternate universe, here's how things could have gone:
"Dad, I want that song."
"Ok honey, let's check iTunes...  It's not on the iTunes US site, but they
say that for $2.99, we can download it from iTunes in Japan.  Let's just pay
$2.99 for it."
"Thank you father!  I love you so much!  And I love my iPod too!"
"Me too, honey.  Me too..."
*Hugs*

Post a reply to this message

> Ok, so let's get this thing on my daughter's iPod Shuffle.  I plug it into
> my computer at work, where I downloaded the mp3, I start up iTunes and try
> to copy the mp3 to it.  Uh, I can't.  Why?  Because that iPod is
> synchronized with another computer.  Which computer?  One that was in my
> basement, which recently got flooded.  But all the songs are on the iPod,
> so can't I just copy them off onto this computer, then put them back on?
> HAHAHAHA  Yeah, right!  If they allowed that, well, then you could
> distribute music ILLEGALLY!  OMG!!!  IT MUST BE PREVENTED!!!
>
> Eventually, I figured out how to copy the song file onto the iPod, but it
> still won't play it, because I copied it as a file, not as a song.  Well,
> at least it's on the iPod now...

The reasons above are exactly why I vowed never to buy an iPod again.

With other music players you just treat them like a hard drive and drag and
drop whatever mp3s you feel like, and if (like me) you have a folder of
"random" mp3s the music player just lets you navigate to that folder.
However on an iPod it mixes in all those random mp3s with all the complete
albums, so you end up with 4234235 albums, most of which just contain 1
track.  That makes it much harder to search for anything to play.

Post a reply to this message