POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe! : Re: iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe! Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:13:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe!
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 4 Jun 2009 12:11:14
Message: <4a27f221@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> "Jeremy \"UncleHoot\" Praay" <jer### [at] questsoftwarecmo> wrote:
>> Gee.  If I change my country to Japan and iTunes finds out that I don't
>> actually, physically reside there, I will get into big trouble with them.
>> At least that's what they say.  They'll block my account.  Dangit!  Now
>> what?
>
>   I really fail to see the logic in this business model. If someone wants
> to buy a piece of music, why should it matter where he lives? Imagine if
> this happened with real stores as well:
>
> Customer: "Hey do you have this CD on sale?"
> Salesman: "Let me see... Yes, we have it. It will be 500 yen."
> Customer: "Great, I'll take it. Here's the money."
> Salesman: "Can I ask you your country of residence?"
> Customer: "I live in the United States, I'm just visiting Japan."
> Salesman: "Oh, I'm sorry, but in that case I can't sell you this. You will
>            have to leave the store, or I'll call the police."
> Customer: "???!"
>
>   Great way of making money.

Well, in Argentina CDs cost about three times less than in the US. If iTunes
music store was opened here with their current US prices, *nobody* would
buy. If they opened here and adjusted their prices, then they would have to
take measures to avoid US citizens from setting their country to Argentina
and pay 3x less. (= get 3x less ripped off than usual)