POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe! : Re: iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe! Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:19:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe!
From: scott
Date: 4 Jun 2009 09:54:45
Message: <4a27d225@news.povray.org>
> Ok, so let's get this thing on my daughter's iPod Shuffle.  I plug it into
> my computer at work, where I downloaded the mp3, I start up iTunes and try
> to copy the mp3 to it.  Uh, I can't.  Why?  Because that iPod is
> synchronized with another computer.  Which computer?  One that was in my
> basement, which recently got flooded.  But all the songs are on the iPod,
> so can't I just copy them off onto this computer, then put them back on?
> HAHAHAHA  Yeah, right!  If they allowed that, well, then you could
> distribute music ILLEGALLY!  OMG!!!  IT MUST BE PREVENTED!!!
>
> Eventually, I figured out how to copy the song file onto the iPod, but it
> still won't play it, because I copied it as a file, not as a song.  Well,
> at least it's on the iPod now...

The reasons above are exactly why I vowed never to buy an iPod again.

With other music players you just treat them like a hard drive and drag and
drop whatever mp3s you feel like, and if (like me) you have a folder of
"random" mp3s the music player just lets you navigate to that folder.
However on an iPod it mixes in all those random mp3s with all the complete
albums, so you end up with 4234235 albums, most of which just contain 1
track.  That makes it much harder to search for anything to play.