POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why is defragging so slow? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:28:18 EDT (-0400)
  Why is defragging so slow? (Message 21 to 30 of 61)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Why is defragging so slow?
Date: 4 Jun 2009 08:01:48
Message: <4a27b7ac@news.povray.org>
>  But that's the problem: There *isn't* enough contiguous space for the
> large file to be stored unfragmented because there's a bunch of small
> files
> scattered all over the free space, and the defragmenter is refusing to
> move
> those files to make space, for an unknown reason.

After you've moved off the 1GB file the defragmenter might behave
differently?

Anyway, even if there wasn't 1GB of contiguous free space, the file will
likely not get fragmented as much as it is currently, so it won't do any
harm.

Post a reply to this message

> >  But that's the problem: There *isn't* enough contiguous space for the
> > large file to be stored unfragmented because there's a bunch of small
> > files
> > scattered all over the free space, and the defragmenter is refusing to
> > move
> > those files to make space, for an unknown reason.

> After you've moved off the 1GB file the defragmenter might behave
> differently?

  I did that the first time, and it didn't make any difference.

> Anyway, even if there wasn't 1GB of contiguous free space, the file will
> likely not get fragmented as much as it is currently, so it won't do any
> harm.

  I just want to know why the defragmenter is refusing to move those files.
I would also like to make the page file one single contiguous block in the
disk. However, I'm unable to do that because of those small files.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message