POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why is defragging so slow? : Re: Why is defragging so slow? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:18:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is defragging so slow?
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Jun 2009 12:28:33
Message: <4a27f631$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> I don't see any big reasons why it wouldn't survive,

You can't copy the registry files (especially SAM) easily while the system
is running, for one. Restoring it to the new drive is also tricky for the
same reason. Basically, you'd have to write your own full-blown program to
do this. You can't just use the usual backup/restore stuff.

> There are also lots of 3rd party programs that will do
> this automatically for you, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a freeware
> one.

The only ones I found that actually work basically take images of the drive,
not individual files, meaning fragmentation persists.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)