POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why is defragging so slow? : Re: Why is defragging so slow? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:14:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is defragging so slow?
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Jun 2009 12:23:45
Message: <4a27f511$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I can't understand why both programs are doing this.

Possibilities: The small files are actually directories that someone has
open?  The defragger has seen that it already looked at those files and
decided it won't speed things up to move them (i.e., stupid algorithm)?
Most of the old defraggers had an option to consolidate free space, but
the later versions seem to have eliminated that. Hey, here's a business
opportunity for ya. ;-)

I assume you're smart enough to try it with everything you can run stopped.

Try this:

http://www.dirms.com/home/docs/dirms1.asp

The CLI version is free.  It takes forever to run, especially with the
defaults.  But it claims to compact the files better.

This is why *compacting* garbage collectors are good! ;-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)