POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Frightening technology Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:18:09 EDT (-0400)
  Frightening technology (Message 41 to 50 of 70)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Frightening technology
Date: 30 May 2009 02:13:30
Message: <4a20ce8a$1@news.povray.org>
>> What the **** do they make the actual disk out of? Because man, it's
>> unbreakable!
>
> They're not hard to snap in half, have done that on occasion with media
> where the dye has given up.

As I told Warp, I was talking about floppy disks. (The floppy,
disk-shaped part.)

> Interestingly, though, if you put them through a shredder (I have one
> that handles CD/DVD media), often times the plastic doesn't come apart
> and you end up with interesting designs.

IME, pressed CDs shatter, while CD-Rs are less brittle. Also, pressed
CDs shatter into pieces, but with CD-Rs the reflective label tends to
peel off, leaving you with a shredder full of glitter.

Whatever; the shredder makes a satisfying crunking sound... >:-D

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/