POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Frightening technology : Re: Frightening technology Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:16:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Frightening technology
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 30 May 2009 02:28:12
Message: <4a20d1fc$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 30 May 2009 07:13:36 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> What the **** do they make the actual disk out of? Because man, it's
>>> unbreakable!
>>
>> They're not hard to snap in half, have done that on occasion with media
>> where the dye has given up.
>
> As I told Warp, I was talking about floppy disks. (The floppy,
> disk-shaped part.)

Ah, I see - yes, that part is difficult to tear, but it can be punctured
with relative ease.

>> Interestingly, though, if you put them through a shredder (I have one
>> that handles CD/DVD media), often times the plastic doesn't come apart
>> and you end up with interesting designs.
>
> IME, pressed CDs shatter, while CD-Rs are less brittle. Also, pressed
> CDs shatter into pieces, but with CD-Rs the reflective label tends to
> peel off, leaving you with a shredder full of glitter.

Yeah, that's true.  And that glitter gets *everywhere* too.

I haven't tried pressed CDs, but I've got some old ones in the basement I
could probably whack in to see what happens.  Might be interesting to see
the difference.

> Whatever; the shredder makes a satisfying crunking sound... >:-D

This is very true. :-)