POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Frightening technology : Re: Frightening technology Server Time
9 Oct 2024 09:57:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Frightening technology
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 30 May 2009 02:30:28
Message: <4a20d284$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> Then it's worth being careful with the things you purchase.
>
>   Compare to the good old 3.5-inch floppies. You could throw them accross
> the room and hit a wall and play football with them, and they would still
> work just fine.

The real irony here is, the "earliest" models of CD technology had a
"case" you inserted them into, with a sort of latched door, just like
the 3.5 inch floppy, so the surface was only "visible", and
"unprotected", while in the machine to read it. Problem is, since they
could be removed from those things (it was too costly to provide one for
each) people lost them, then the reader wouldn't work, since there was
no "tray" to put the disc in, and insert into the reader.

Personally, I think they had the right idea to start with, and went
stupid, due to cost, minor inconvenient, and the human tendency to
misplace "critical" parts. If I had a choice, I would use something like
a slim case, with a door on it, rather than the thing we have now. And,
except for people that buy those lame "sleeves", which just help scratch
up the discs over time, most people buy boxes of those things anyway,
because they stack well, protect the disc, and are not "so much" larger
than the discs themselves that they care any more. It wouldn't be that
hard to rig a "door" on one, or some sort, and clip out a bit of the
center, so it can be mounted on the spin mechanism. Oh, and.. if you get
one of those rare, "It exploded!", situations, it wouldn't throw shards
throughout the entire reader. lol

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {