POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Star Trek movie whoops.... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:27:19 EDT (-0400)
  Star Trek movie whoops.... (Message 1 to 10 of 47)
From: Darren New
Subject: Star Trek movie whoops....
Date: 13 May 2009 23:11:42
Message: <4a0b8bee@news.povray.org>
Think about what happens to the bad guy at the end.
Think about where he is when it happens.
Whoops.

I don't think it's a spoiler to say I'm still surprised they have deflector
shields that will ward off antimatter-based photon torpedoes and
particle-beam phasers, but they still rip chunks of the hull off when they
get hit by a passing piece of scrap. Why don't people equip their warships
with gattling guns and cannons?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

> I don't think it's a spoiler to say I'm still surprised they have
> deflector shields that will ward off antimatter-based photon torpedoes
> and particle-beam phasers, but they still rip chunks of the hull off
> when they get hit by a passing piece of scrap. Why don't people equip
> their warships with gattling guns and cannons?

Oh?  I thought the whole point of the deflector shields was to prevent
the ship from getting hit by space dust and larger bits of rubble as it
ploughed through the universe at transluminal velocities.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net

Post a reply to this message

> Oh?  I thought the whole point of the deflector shields was to prevent
> the ship from getting hit by space dust and larger bits of rubble as it
> ploughed through the universe at transluminal velocities.

It's hard to say about warp speed, but they're certainly supposed to be a
wartime defense, given how often the captian yells "Shields up!" whenever an
enemy ship uncloaks or something.  They don't seem to actually work against
physical attacks in any of the movies, tho.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

> > I don't think it's a spoiler to say I'm still surprised they have
> > deflector shields that will ward off antimatter-based photon torpedoes
> > and particle-beam phasers, but they still rip chunks of the hull off
> > when they get hit by a passing piece of scrap. Why don't people equip
> > their warships with gattling guns and cannons?
>
> Oh?  I thought the whole point of the deflector shields was to prevent
> the ship from getting hit by space dust and larger bits of rubble as it
> ploughed through the universe at transluminal velocities.

They seem to also use the shields for this, at least when it suits the plot!

I always get bothered by the opening credits to Voyager, when the ship flies
through what appears to be a dense dust cloud (supposedly a nebula of some
kind, although what nebula would be that dense?), and the dust sweeps around it
prettily... I always think it must be playing hell with their hull!

Post a reply to this message