POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Star Trek movie whoops.... : Re: Star Trek movie whoops.... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:27:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Star Trek movie whoops....
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 14 May 2009 04:10:00
Message: <web.4a0bd1d3c0e6495c6dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook <z99### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
> > I don't think it's a spoiler to say I'm still surprised they have
> > deflector shields that will ward off antimatter-based photon torpedoes
> > and particle-beam phasers, but they still rip chunks of the hull off
> > when they get hit by a passing piece of scrap. Why don't people equip
> > their warships with gattling guns and cannons?
>
> Oh?  I thought the whole point of the deflector shields was to prevent
> the ship from getting hit by space dust and larger bits of rubble as it
> ploughed through the universe at transluminal velocities.

They seem to also use the shields for this, at least when it suits the plot!

I always get bothered by the opening credits to Voyager, when the ship flies
through what appears to be a dense dust cloud (supposedly a nebula of some
kind, although what nebula would be that dense?), and the dust sweeps around it
prettily... I always think it must be playing hell with their hull!