POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The next evolution in P2P Server Time
9 Oct 2024 08:24:53 EDT (-0400)
  The next evolution in P2P (Message 21 to 30 of 110)
From: pan
Subject: Re: The next evolution in P2P
Date: 9 May 2009 11:55:09
Message: <4a05a75d@news.povray.org>
news:4a052107$1@news.povray.org...
| pan wrote:
| > What makes you guess that http://thepiratebay.org/ has been taken
down?

| The owners have been taken down. You don't need to actually shut down
| servers to put a crimp in things.

Site seems just as operational as before.
And - the appeals are yet to be litigated.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 9 May 2009 11:57:46
Message: <4a05a7fa$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> I'm guessing that with the move to DHT and the take-down of the Pirate Bay,
>> the next step is going to be to decentralize or at least plausibly deny-ify
>> the actual searching.
>
>   Since when bittorrent == the pirate bay?

I didn't say it is. I'm talking about P2P, using bittorrent terms to
describe what I'm saying, especially considering bittorrent added DHT to
decentralize the trackers.

It's really stunning to me that everyone's picking nits and not actually
commenting on the substance of what I'm saying.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Darren New
Date: 9 May 2009 12:00:12
Message: <4a05a88c$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   My major complaint is that priorities are all wrong in this.

It's also the case that the whole "music industry" as it exists now is a
temporary aberration. The whole thing is predicated on the fact that it's
*possible* to record music but not *cheap* to record music.

The same thing will happen with books eventually too, I expect, once the
technology for book reading (e.g. Kindel) gets cheap and ubiquitous and
convenient.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Darren New
Date: 9 May 2009 12:06:09
Message: <4a05a9f1$1@news.povray.org>
pan wrote:
> Site seems just as operational as before.
> And - the appeals are yet to be litigated.

You know how I lost my job once? The USA started arresting people in
countries where online gambling is legal, and suddenly nobody wanted to do
any software for online gambling. Someone with less cajones and fewer
servers than the pirate bay owners is going to fold a lot easier.

But thanks for missing my point.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Darren New
Date: 9 May 2009 12:07:57
Message: <4a05aa5d$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> A fine is a tax on doing something wrong.
> A tax is a fine on doing something right.

I like that!

> There are only two things certain in life, death and taxes.  And doctors
> are making remarkable progress with death!

"Oh, some of the boys were worried you were a revenooer."
     NO. I'M THE OTHER ONE.
"That's good. Grand-dad always said tax collectors were
  worse because they show up every year."
     NOT TO ME.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Darren New
Date: 9 May 2009 12:13:46
Message: <4a05abba$1@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:
> I'm not sure that would change anything. Either the site can point to
> torrents in a usable way (providing content descriptions, rating etc.)
> or it can't.

It doesn't have to provide content descriptions to make them usable, is my
point.   You can have a search engine search content without knowing what
that content is or what you're searching for.  That's what the bloom filters
give you.

The way I was originally doing it was to double-hash the keywords, then send
the single-hash of the keywords around the network, having each client with
content hash it once more, then compare the results. (The double-hash was so
people storing stuff locally wouldn't be able to look at the search requests
and fake a "yes" answer, basically, or something like that. I'm not sure I
remember the details.) The problem with this is you have to actually spell
the keyword exactly right, which is kind of messy for full text searches.

> BTW, there's an idea floating around, that consists in encrypting
> content without giving the key,

I saw that program. The start of the documentation made no sense until you
got down to the rationale.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Warp
Date: 9 May 2009 12:52:34
Message: <4a05b4d2@news.povray.org>
> It's really stunning to me that everyone's picking nits and not actually
> commenting on the substance of what I'm saying.

  Maybe because nobody disagrees with the substance, and thus there are
only the small details to pick about?-)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Chambers
Date: 9 May 2009 12:58:30
Message: <4a05b636@news.povray.org>
On 5/9/2009 9:06 AM, Darren New wrote:
> pan wrote:
>> Site seems just as operational as before.
>> And - the appeals are yet to be litigated.
>
> You know how I lost my job once? The USA started arresting people in
> countries where online gambling is legal, and suddenly nobody wanted to
> do any software for online gambling.

How was the USA able to arrest people in foreign countries?

--
...Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message

From: somebody
Date: 9 May 2009 13:19:21
Message: <4a05bb19$1@news.povray.org>

>   Where is the corproration that protects *my* rights as a professional
> programmer? That hunts people who copy my software without paying the
> proper price, who sues them and then gives me the money I deserve?
>
>   Nowhere, because the music industry does not consider software piracy
> to be even nearly as bad as music piracy.

Of course not. Music industry is *music* industry. It's not their fault that
the *software* industry is not as adamant as protecting their rights as the
music industry.

>   So what if someone's song is copied? He can go and get a real job like
> anyone else.

The discussion of what's a real job and what is not is not very fruitful.
With a software developer's hat, I've done many projects that even I cannot
say improved anyone's quality of life other than bring cash to the pockets
of the vendor who I did the work for. In that respect, the garbage man who
picks your garbage every week so you don't drown in filth, or the farmer who
grows wheat so you don't starve to death have "more real" jobs than both
programmers and artists.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 9 May 2009 13:20:02
Message: <4a05bb42$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> How was the USA able to arrest people in foreign countries?

Well, the guy in Aruba (or wherever it was) was "invited" to talk to the FBI
about the problem, and he was foolish enough to actually show up in Miami.
Of course, he hadn't broken any laws in the USA, but we enforced it anyway.

The guys in England got arrested in Germany (or vice versa, I forget which)
when they visited, too.

So, basically, they weren't arrested in the foreign country, but they were
either arrested when they visited or they were deported by their local
government for doing things that weren't crimes where they were doing them.

Interestingly, the guy in Aruba argued to the WTO that it was restraint of
trade, since the USA allowed online gambling if you were in the USA. (i.e.,
in much the same way that Kentucky allows online gambling but only if your
business is also in Kentucky.) His proposed solution was that Aruba gets to
ignore copyright.  You can imagine what a s__tstorm that started. :-)

Google for 'online gambling arrests' for the ugly details.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)