POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The next evolution in P2P : Re: The next evolution in P2P Server Time
9 Oct 2024 10:14:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The next evolution in P2P
From: somebody
Date: 9 May 2009 13:19:21
Message: <4a05bb19$1@news.povray.org>
news:4a05a3c2@news.povray.org...

>   Where is the corproration that protects *my* rights as a professional
> programmer? That hunts people who copy my software without paying the
> proper price, who sues them and then gives me the money I deserve?
>
>   Nowhere, because the music industry does not consider software piracy
> to be even nearly as bad as music piracy.

Of course not. Music industry is *music* industry. It's not their fault that
the *software* industry is not as adamant as protecting their rights as the
music industry.

>   So what if someone's song is copied? He can go and get a real job like
> anyone else.

The discussion of what's a real job and what is not is not very fruitful.
With a software developer's hat, I've done many projects that even I cannot
say improved anyone's quality of life other than bring cash to the pockets
of the vendor who I did the work for. In that respect, the garbage man who
picks your garbage every week so you don't drown in filth, or the farmer who
grows wheat so you don't starve to death have "more real" jobs than both
programmers and artists.