POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The next evolution in P2P : Re: The next evolution in P2P Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:21:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The next evolution in P2P
From: Darren New
Date: 9 May 2009 12:13:46
Message: <4a05abba$1@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:
> I'm not sure that would change anything. Either the site can point to
> torrents in a usable way (providing content descriptions, rating etc.)
> or it can't.

It doesn't have to provide content descriptions to make them usable, is my
point.   You can have a search engine search content without knowing what
that content is or what you're searching for.  That's what the bloom filters
give you.

The way I was originally doing it was to double-hash the keywords, then send
the single-hash of the keywords around the network, having each client with
content hash it once more, then compare the results. (The double-hash was so
people storing stuff locally wouldn't be able to look at the search requests
and fake a "yes" answer, basically, or something like that. I'm not sure I
remember the details.) The problem with this is you have to actually spell
the keyword exactly right, which is kind of messy for full text searches.

> BTW, there's an idea floating around, that consists in encrypting
> content without giving the key,

I saw that program. The start of the documentation made no sense until you
got down to the rationale.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)