POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The next evolution in P2P : Re: The next evolution in P2P Server Time
9 Oct 2024 10:13:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The next evolution in P2P
From: Darren New
Date: 9 May 2009 13:20:02
Message: <4a05bb42$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> How was the USA able to arrest people in foreign countries?

Well, the guy in Aruba (or wherever it was) was "invited" to talk to the FBI
about the problem, and he was foolish enough to actually show up in Miami.
Of course, he hadn't broken any laws in the USA, but we enforced it anyway.

The guys in England got arrested in Germany (or vice versa, I forget which)
when they visited, too.

So, basically, they weren't arrested in the foreign country, but they were
either arrested when they visited or they were deported by their local
government for doing things that weren't crimes where they were doing them.

Interestingly, the guy in Aruba argued to the WTO that it was restraint of
trade, since the USA allowed online gambling if you were in the USA. (i.e.,
in much the same way that Kentucky allows online gambling but only if your
business is also in Kentucky.) His proposed solution was that Aruba gets to
ignore copyright.  You can imagine what a s__tstorm that started. :-)

Google for 'online gambling arrests' for the ugly details.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)