POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : High rez versus high refresh... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:28:22 EDT (-0400)
  High rez versus high refresh... (Message 73 to 82 of 82)
From: scott
Subject: Re: High rez versus high refresh...
Date: 28 Apr 2009 06:07:33
Message: <49f6d565@news.povray.org>
> Interesting. I *watched* the snooker, and it didn't appear to be in
> widescreen. (Or maybe that's just FreeSat?)

I watch it via my Sky box (that's the same signal as FreeSat isn't it?) and
I certainly didn't notice any stretching (it would be quite obvious in
snooker because there are lots of perfectly spherical objects in view all
the time).  What made you think it wasn't widescreen?

> There seems to be a great lack of the sciency type of programs I like
> these days. We used to have great shows like Rough Science, Scrapheap
> Challenge, Local Heroes, Horizon, BBC Wildlife, etc. Now there's just
> Brainiac... which is rather lame.

Scrap heap challenge was good fun, but it got a bit annoying when they
obviously planted useful stuff.  Like "oh look there's a complete working V8
engine that's just lying here under this rusted car shell".

Post a reply to this message

>> Interesting. I *watched* the snooker, and it didn't appear to be in
>> widescreen. (Or maybe that's just FreeSat?)
>
> I watch it via my Sky box (that's the same signal as FreeSat isn't it?)
> and I certainly didn't notice any stretching (it would be quite obvious
> in snooker because there are lots of perfectly spherical objects in view
> all the time).  What made you think it wasn't widescreen?

The lack of black bars at the top and bottom of the screen on my
grandparent's 4:3 CRT. Maybe they were there and I just didn't notice?
Certainly when you watch a 4:3 signal on a 16:9 screen that's errantly
configured to distort the image, it's pretty damned noticable!

>> There seems to be a great lack of the sciency type of programs I like
>> these days. We used to have great shows like Rough Science, Scrapheap
>> Challenge, Local Heroes, Horizon, BBC Wildlife, etc. Now there's just
>> Brainiac... which is rather lame.
>
> Scrap heap challenge was good fun, but it got a bit annoying when they
> obviously planted useful stuff.  Like "oh look there's a complete
> working V8 engine that's just lying here under this rusted car shell".

Yeah, well, that part of the show was *sliiightly* tenuous at times. But
the whole concept of "OK, we need to mash together a machine to do X...
how the hell do we actually do that?" was really neat.

Unfortunately the show slowly drifted from being about the science to
being about the personallity clashes, differences of opinion, mutinies,
etc. that I don't give a damn about. Why is it that today everything has
to be about "reality TV"? Just get on with the engineering!

Post a reply to this message