POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : High rez versus high refresh... : Re: High rez versus high refresh... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:15:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: High rez versus high refresh...
From: Invisible
Date: 28 Apr 2009 07:08:01
Message: <49f6e391@news.povray.org>
>> The lack of black bars at the top and bottom of the screen on my
>> grandparent's 4:3 CRT. Maybe they were there and I just didn't notice?
>
> Oh, on my Sky box if you tell them that you have a 4:3 device connected
> it chops off the sides to make a 4:3 picture from a 16:9 one.

Ah, actually... I do seem to recall the picture coming up briefly on the
TV, and then it flashing something about "auto" and the picture changing
shape. So yes, I think the TV itself cut the edges off. That'll be why then!

>> Certainly when you watch a 4:3 signal on a 16:9 screen that's errantly
>> configured to distort the image, it's pretty damned noticable!
>
> I have never noticed this, either my Sky box is zooming 4:3 streams to
> fill the screen, or it's just there are no 4:3 streams that I watch.

If it's just set to cut the edges off, it's not too bad. If it's set to
mash the picture to the wrong aspect ratio, it looks terrible!

> BTW, it's quite common that 16:9 streams have black bars top and bottom
> as well to give an even wider aspect ratio, don't assume the presence or
> absence of black bars says anything about whether it's widescreen or not.

If you're watching it on a 4:3 screen and there's black bars, it's not a
4:3 aspect signal. What aspect it *is*, who knows? But it's not 4:3. ;-)

>> Yeah, well, that part of the show was *sliiightly* tenuous at times.
>> But the whole concept of "OK, we need to mash together a machine to do
>> X... how the hell do we actually do that?" was really neat.
>
> Yeh it was cool to watch them making things, I really like that sort of
> stuff.  Just a shame I don't have room at home to make a nice workshop,
> one day though :-)

...fortunately...for the safety of the world... ;-)

Who can forget the Barley Pickers and their "propper job" of building a
machine that ****ed itself apart in the most spectacular way possible
the very first time they tried to use it? :-D

>> Unfortunately the show slowly drifted from being about the science to
>> being about the personallity clashes, differences of opinion,
>> mutinies, etc. that I don't give a damn about. Why is it that today
>> everything has to be about "reality TV"? Just get on with the
>> engineering!
>
> Agreed, although haven't watched it recently so it might be worse now
> than I remember!

Well, there always was a social element to it. And that was part of what
made it cool. But now they emphasize it too much, and don't talk enough
about the engineering. There's a little Big Brother-style "confession
booth" where team members can go in and be like "well I though it woz a
good idea, right? But Dave, he says, right, leave it how it is. Well I
mean that's silly, innit?"

Dude, like, who cares? I much preferred it back when it was a team of
mates who'd mistaken the "build machine X" task for a "weld as much
stuff as humanly possible" contest.

I feel it all went wrong when that girl presenter left...