POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : High rez versus high refresh... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:27:29 EDT (-0400)
  High rez versus high refresh... (Message 11 to 20 of 82)
From: Mike Raiford
Subject: Re: High rez versus high refresh...
Date: 23 Apr 2009 16:46:07
Message: <49f0d38f@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> But my question would have to be... what the hell is so great about
> "widescreen" anyway?? Why is it that today everything must be
> widescreen? (Except for 99% of all the video you might want to watch...)
> Even my friggin' *laptop* is widescreen. WTF?

Movies. Movies have been widescreen forever. People want to watch the
movie "unaltered" at home. That's why.

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 23 Apr 2009 17:10:00
Message: <49f0d928@news.povray.org>
>> But my question would have to be... what the hell is so great about
>> "widescreen" anyway?? Why is it that today everything must be
>> widescreen? (Except for 99% of all the video you might want to
>> watch...) Even my friggin' *laptop* is widescreen. WTF?
>>

> Movies. Movies have been widescreen forever. People want to watch the
> movie "unaltered" at home. That's why.

Really? I hadn't noticed that one.

Is there a reason why movies are filmed this way?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 23 Apr 2009 17:30:00
Message: <web.49f0dd41912b831369f956610@news.povray.org>
> >> But my question would have to be... what the hell is so great about
> >> "widescreen" anyway?? Why is it that today everything must be
> >> widescreen? (Except for 99% of all the video you might want to
> >> watch...) Even my friggin' *laptop* is widescreen. WTF?
> >
> > Movies. Movies have been widescreen forever. People want to watch the
> > movie "unaltered" at home. That's why.
>
> Really? I hadn't noticed that one.

I'll let you off if you claim you only ever watched movies on TV, where they've
been cropped for decades (until fairly recently) ;-)

> Is there a reason why movies are filmed this way?

The view around you is rarely interesting when looking up and down, but much
more so on the horizontal, especially with a wide field of view. Also, when
people are conversing, moving, fighting etc, they're separated on the
horizontal, not the vertical, so a wide screen lets you show more of the scene
at once... It really all comes down to the fact that we've evolved to live on a
flat 2d surface, our eyes are placed to pan on the horizontal, etc etc.

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 22:10:02 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> But my question would have to be... what the hell is so great about
>>> "widescreen" anyway?? Why is it that today everything must be
>>> widescreen? (Except for 99% of all the video you might want to
>>> watch...) Even my friggin' *laptop* is widescreen. WTF?
>>>

>> Movies. Movies have been widescreen forever. People want to watch the
>> movie "unaltered" at home. That's why.
>
> Really? I hadn't noticed that one.

It was my understanding that most TVs in the UK these days are widescreen
anyways; if that's the case, it's not surprising you wouldn't notice the
difference. :-)

> Is there a reason why movies are filmed this way?

http://www.widescreen.org/aspect_ratios.shtml seems to have some relevant
information.

Jim

Post a reply to this message