POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : High rez versus high refresh... : Re: High rez versus high refresh... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:18:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: High rez versus high refresh...
From: Invisible
Date: 24 Apr 2009 04:10:16
Message: <49f173e8$1@news.povray.org>
>>> Movies. Movies have been widescreen forever. People want to watch the
>>> movie "unaltered" at home. That's why.
>> Really? I hadn't noticed that one.
>
> It was my understanding that most TVs in the UK these days are widescreen
> anyways; if that's the case, it's not surprising you wouldn't notice the
> difference. :-)

Most *new* TVs are widescreen. (Indeed, it is apparently impossible to
buy one that isn't.) Which is most perplexing, because there are no TV
signals broadcast in widescreen, so owning a widescreen TV instantly
means that everything you watch must either be distorted or have black
bars down the sides. Um... and this is a "good" thing because...??

>> Is there a reason why movies are filmed this way?
>
> http://www.widescreen.org/aspect_ratios.shtml seems to have some relevant
> information.

Only really says what aspect ratios were used and how it was done - not
why these ratios existed in the first place.