POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : High rez versus high refresh... : Re: High rez versus high refresh... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:18:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: High rez versus high refresh...
From: Invisible
Date: 24 Apr 2009 05:46:23
Message: <49f18a6f$1@news.povray.org>
>> Most *new* TVs are widescreen. (Indeed, it is apparently impossible to
>> buy one that isn't.) Which is most perplexing, because there are no TV
>> signals broadcast in widescreen,
>
> Um... most channels in the UK broadcast in widescreen, and have done for several
> years. Most new shows are now recorded in widescreen too, even the BBC news.

Interesting. Everything I see on TV is still in 4:3 aspect.

> Even prior to this, a widescreen TV could format a letterboxed movie without
> distortion to fit the screen.

Sure, but nobody does this except for films. Normal TV programs are
still in 4:3 aspect.

Now that my mum has a widescreen TV, this means that I can either have
people with elliptical heads, huge black bars, or cut off half the
picture. I opted for cutting off half the picture. (Which means that if
they show something that *is* widescreen letterboxed, it comes out
right. Except that, apparently, even "widescreen" films aren't actually
16:9 aspect, so you still get letterboxing...)