POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : High rez versus high refresh... : Re: High rez versus high refresh... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:18:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: High rez versus high refresh...
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 23 Apr 2009 17:30:00
Message: <web.49f0dd41912b831369f956610@news.povray.org>
> >> But my question would have to be... what the hell is so great about
> >> "widescreen" anyway?? Why is it that today everything must be
> >> widescreen? (Except for 99% of all the video you might want to
> >> watch...) Even my friggin' *laptop* is widescreen. WTF?
> >
> > Movies. Movies have been widescreen forever. People want to watch the
> > movie "unaltered" at home. That's why.
>
> Really? I hadn't noticed that one.

I'll let you off if you claim you only ever watched movies on TV, where they've
been cropped for decades (until fairly recently) ;-)

> Is there a reason why movies are filmed this way?

The view around you is rarely interesting when looking up and down, but much
more so on the horizontal, especially with a wide field of view. Also, when
people are conversing, moving, fighting etc, they're separated on the
horizontal, not the vertical, so a wide screen lets you show more of the scene
at once... It really all comes down to the fact that we've evolved to live on a
flat 2d surface, our eyes are placed to pan on the horizontal, etc etc.