POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:14:15 EDT (-0400)
  The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives (Message 131 to 140 of 140)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives
Date: 24 Apr 2009 15:23:53
Message: <49f211c9$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 11:33:56 -0600, somebody wrote:

> "Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message
>
>> Now I *know* you know that's not what I meant.  I've explained before -
>> if you want cable-like speeds, in most markets there is a single
>> choice. I can't get anything but Comcast if I want 10 Mbps without
>> paying for a dedicated line.  So my choice is to live with Comcast's
>> draconian TOS or to use DSL - which gives me a whole 3 Mbps currently.
>
> So Comcast should be subject to your terms because there happens to be
> little alternative in your locality?

Can you say "abuse of monopoly power"?  Yes, Comcast should be required
to behave in a manner that doesn't permit them to abuse their monopoly,
which includes dictating what traffic I can or cannot use.

They provide me with a pipe that sends bits back and forth.  But they
should not be permitted to say "you may not use NNTP connections" or "you
may not use p2p connections regardless of whether it's legal content or
not".

Once they get into the business of filtering content, they open
themselves up to lawsuits when their technology fails to "protect" people
from illegal content.

This is why the provider of the pipe should not also be the ISP.  I
notice that you completely ignored my earlier comments about the water
mains and how my tax dollars subsidize people on the other side of town,
even though I don't use *their* water pipes.

> It's OK to ask or lobby for Comcast to get what you need. I don't think
> it's OK at all for legislation to dictate Comcast to offer you exactly
> what you want.

What I and others want is for the providers to not be permitted to
restrict traffic.

What makes it OK for Comcast to lobby congress and get legislation that
allows them to apply arbitrary limits to the service?

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 11:33:56 -0600, somebody wrote:
> > "Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message

> >> Now I *know* you know that's not what I meant.  I've explained before -
> >> if you want cable-like speeds, in most markets there is a single
> >> choice. I can't get anything but Comcast if I want 10 Mbps without
> >> paying for a dedicated line.  So my choice is to live with Comcast's
> >> draconian TOS or to use DSL - which gives me a whole 3 Mbps currently.

> > So Comcast should be subject to your terms because there happens to be
> > little alternative in your locality?

> Can you say "abuse of monopoly power"?  Yes, Comcast should be required
> to behave in a manner that doesn't permit them to abuse their monopoly,

That's a very narrow (ego-centric) definition of monopoly on your part. The
only fast-food restaurant within about 75m of my house is Subway. Does that
make them a monopoly?

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 18:16:35 -0600, somebody wrote:

> "Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 11:33:56 -0600, somebody wrote:
>> > "Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message

>> > So Comcast should be subject to your terms because there happens to
>> > be little alternative in your locality?
>
>> Can you say "abuse of monopoly power"?  Yes, Comcast should be required
>> to behave in a manner that doesn't permit them to abuse their monopoly,
>
> That's a very narrow (ego-centric) definition of monopoly on your part.
> The only fast-food restaurant within about 75m of my house is Subway.
> Does that make them a monopoly?

No, because you can *drive* to another location.

One of my friends who lives in the sticks can't get faster service at
home by driving to town.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 18:16:35 -0600, somebody wrote:
>
> > "Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message

> >> Can you say "abuse of monopoly power"?  Yes, Comcast should be required
> >> to behave in a manner that doesn't permit them to abuse their monopoly,
> >
> > That's a very narrow (ego-centric) definition of monopoly on your part.
> > The only fast-food restaurant within about 75m of my house is Subway.
> > Does that make them a monopoly?
>
> No, because you can *drive* to another location.
>
> One of my friends who lives in the sticks can't get faster service at
> home by driving to town.

What if I don't have a license/car and am confined to a wheelchair?

The point is, the singular and particular circumstance of individuals and
local unavailability of competition do not make companies that happen to be
available monopolies. Why should Comcast be restricted in what they can
offer should they happen to be the only provider offering services to you?
If I'm a business in that situation, I would simply unavail my services to
you and be done with it instead of your singular circumstance have dictate
how I do business globally. Thus you would actually be worse off.

I am not seeing the point of legally forcing Comcast's hand and thus
effectively punishing them just because they provide services in areas where
nobody else is willing to. Sure, if they engage in illegal, monopolistic
practices, maybe to keep out the competition from your area, that's another
matter and should be dealt with existing anti-monopoly laws.

I guess it depends on whether you regard full access to the internet as a
right or not. To me, the baseline is no access at all. Anything above is a
bonus.

Post a reply to this message