POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives : Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:15:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 25 Apr 2009 20:50:35
Message: <49f3afdb@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 02:08:36 -0600, somebody wrote:

>> One of my friends who lives in the sticks can't get faster service at
>> home by driving to town.
>
> What if I don't have a license/car and am confined to a wheelchair?

What if...what if....what if.  What if you have no hands and can't type?

We can play exceptions all day long.  Well, you can, I'm not going to.

> The point is, the singular and particular circumstance of individuals
> and local unavailability of competition do not make companies that
> happen to be available monopolies.

As Darren pointed out, the government *made* them monopolies.

> Why should Comcast be restricted in
> what they can offer should they happen to be the only provider offering
> services to you? If I'm a business in that situation, I would simply
> unavail my services to you and be done with it instead of your singular
> circumstance have dictate how I do business globally. Thus you would
> actually be worse off.

And your customers would probably (a) be extremely pissed off, and (b)
take it to the public utilities commission.  You don't seem to understand
that we're talking about a utility service.

Until you come to that understanding, there's no point in further
discussion.

Jim