POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives : Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:16:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives
From: Darren New
Date: 25 Apr 2009 16:38:34
Message: <49f374ca$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Can you say "abuse of monopoly power"?  Yes, Comcast should be required
> to behave in a manner that doesn't permit them to abuse their monopoly,
> which includes dictating what traffic I can or cannot use.

*Especially* since the *reason* they have a monopoly is that the government
passed laws *giving* them a monopoly.

If there were actually ten or twenty competing high-speed ISPs from which to
chose, your position might make sense. When the government says "Sorry, TW
won the bid, you don't get to run any connectivity here", it seems perfectly
reasonable to use the same government to make TW behave in a fair manner.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)