POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : rrrggh..damned plebes... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:14:26 EDT (-0400)
  rrrggh..damned plebes... (Message 50 to 59 of 59)
From: Shay
Subject: Re: rrrggh..damned plebes...
Date: 20 Mar 2009 10:42:23
Message: <49c3ab4f$1@news.povray.org>
[GDS|Entropy] wrote:
> ..damned plebes...

What do you have against plebeians? As I see it, besting a guy at
hacking makes you no more a patriarch than besting you at hammering
would make me John Henry.

  -Shay

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 20 Mar 2009 12:16:45
Message: <49c3c16d$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 03:09:41 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> >   Hmm, exactly how is it illegal to make an assumption about the
>> >   legality
>> > of someone's action in a certain country/state?
>
>> It's not illegal to make the assumption.  But if you make the
>> assumption it's "safe" and it's illegal, you aren't going to catch a
>> break - because ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it.
>
>   It was a rethorical question. I just wanted to point out that I said
> nothing about whether it's a good idea to do it or not. My original
> point was that people seem to always assume it's illegal without
> actually knowing the actual laws of the place.

Sure.  But at the same time, you would agree, I think, that it's better
to err on the side of legality, not illegality.

>> >   Ok, maybe if a lawyer did that and he is mistaken, he could get
>> >   sued for
>> > malpractice or something.
>
>> We're talking about two different things, I think.
>
>   I was just being sarcastic. I apologize.

No problem, I actually didn't understand the comment, even with sarcasm
tags in place.

>> >   And if you really are innocent and convicted wrongly, tough luck.
>
>> Welcome to the justice system in the USA....
>
>   I don't believe being beaten up in prison is part of the justice
>   system.
> Not the legal one, at least.

Those who have been in prison (I haven't, but I have family who has been)
describe an entirely different code of conduct between prisoners.  There
is a very distinct type of order, and while there are guards who will
keep things from getting too far out of hand, there are things they don't
interfere in either.

Jim

Post a reply to this message