POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : rrrggh..damned plebes... : Re: rrrggh..damned plebes... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:16:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rrrggh..damned plebes...
From: Shay
Date: 14 Apr 2009 13:45:31
Message: <49e4cbbb@news.povray.org>

andrel wrote:
  > Perhaps Shay is referring to the possibility that superficially he
  > may possess all or most of the above qualifications*.

Hmmmm. Gutter dwelling? Not at the moment, but, sure, been there, done
that. As for my progenitors, they did produce a brother who cat out-geek
(currently pursuing a doctorate in EE) most on this forum.

  > That is a bit of a problem with these kind of international
  > forums, you get all kinds.

It appears Mr. Entropy is a savage American like myself. In fact, he's
the most savage kind: a "Reb."

Regarding the plebeian thing. What if I were telling the original story?
Say some guy tried to hack my computer, and, for the sake of argument,
let's allow that I knew where the guy lived. I couldn't hack him back; I
wouldn't know where to start. So, in this version, I, unable to
retaliate in kind, instead went to the hacker's house and shoved his
computer sideways up his ass.

If the story went that way, I'd be telling in from jail. I have to play
by your rules and retaliate in a matter that might get me a
finger-wagging on a news-server, but will not likely get me thrown in
jail. And jail is only a small part of the reason I wouldn't shove the
computer up his ass. I wouldn't do it because a little property damage
on his part isn't worth either of us losing teeth and because I don't
want my family to live in a world where people go bashing each other's
heads in over small arguments. I, like most plebeians, *choose* to face
conflict with one arm tied behind my back.

Of course, you don't go around punching people either, but it's likely
not your *best* choice (mine either most of the time). Your best choices
are less-frightening to (and as a result, more tolerated by) society. A
classic example is downloading a CD versus running out of a store with one.

My point? A lot of the bullshit in society happens because we plebeians
*allow* ourselves to get kicked around. Because we, as a whole, have
decided that the cure is worse than the disease. But we can always
change our minds.

  > I am not sure what my first impression would be if I met [Shay]
  > personally not knowing who he is. Actually I know I don't know
  > what he looks like, so this may just be a result of a double
  > prejudice. ;)

Recent picture attached. The hat does hide the sloping forehead. :) I
suspect that if you met me, not knowing who I was, you'd not be
surprised to find out.

   -Shay

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: