POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : People are strange Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:18:21 EDT (-0400)
  People are strange (Message 9 to 18 of 28)
<<< Previous 8 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: People are strange
Date: 6 Mar 2009 07:27:54
Message: <49b116ca$1@news.povray.org>
>> Nah, I'm sure if you do anything reasonably popular in the Internet you're
>> going to get at least a few people ask you crazy things.
>
> This is very true. Back in '96 there was a local PhD (HAAARKEEER!! *shakes
> fist*) who ripped off of me word for word, entire pages, in an Aquarium
> Frontiers online article regarding foam fractionation. Some people in #reefs
> brought this to my attention, and I was quite amused. I wonder if he knew I
> was 16? And while all information and theory I presented happened to be
> accurate, he *must* have been crazy to not only blatantly plagarize, but to
> rip off of a 16yo. lol! :-D

This is where I mumble something about immitation being the more sincere
form of flattery or something...

As you may know, while I was at uni doing my BSc, I regularly had MSc
students that I'd never met before in my life wander up to me and ask in
broken English whether I could "fix their Java". I have no idea how the
hell they knew my name or my skill with Java...

>> The Internet seems to attract crazy people for some reason...
>
> But...but....*we're* on the internet... o.o

Now, now... The inverse of a statement does not necessarily follow. ;-)
Who said it was a logical biconditional?

Post a reply to this message

> As you may know, while I was at uni doing my BSc, I regularly had MSc
> students that I'd never met before in my life wander up to me and ask in
> broken English whether I could "fix their Java". I have no idea how the
> hell they knew my name or my skill with Java...

Hehe reminds me of when we had the first few mechanical drawing (yes, by
hand, you try drawing the intersection of a cylinder and cone by hand in 3
different projections!) classes at University.  There was only one guy who
could do this stuff properly (he did it during a gap year I think) and so as
the afternoon progressed each stage of the work would kind of ripple
outwards from his desk towards the outside :-)

Post a reply to this message