POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : People are strange : Re: People are strange Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:15:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: People are strange
From: [GDS|Entropy]
Date: 6 Mar 2009 08:35:52
Message: <49b126b8$1@news.povray.org>
news:49b116ca$1@news.povray.org...
>>> Nah, I'm sure if you do anything reasonably popular in the Internet
>>> you're going to get at least a few people ask you crazy things.
>>
>> This is very true. Back in '96 there was a local PhD (HAAARKEEER!!
>> *shakes fist*) who ripped off of me word for word, entire pages, in an
>> Aquarium Frontiers online article regarding foam fractionation. Some
>> people in #reefs brought this to my attention, and I was quite amused. I
>> wonder if he knew I was 16? And while all information and theory I
>> presented happened to be accurate, he *must* have been crazy to not only
>> blatantly plagarize, but to rip off of a 16yo. lol! :-D
>
> This is where I mumble something about immitation being the more sincere
> form of flattery or something...

Or the fastest way to royally piss me off. lol! ;-)

> As you may know, while I was at uni doing my BSc, I regularly had MSc
> students that I'd never met before in my life wander up to me and ask in
> broken English whether I could "fix their Java". I have no idea how the
> hell they knew my name or my skill with Java...

*head in hands* Oh god...yes I know what you mean...I have similar problems
with my family, who usually won't even speak to me unless "the internet is
broken" or some such nonsense.
I typically end up explaining to them that they most probably have no
business being even anywhere *near* a computer.

I feel to a degree that if you can't write a program (ANY program) you
shouldn't be allowed to use one either. Thats how people end up doing
retarded things like downloading "free" games/cursors until their computer
takes 20min to boot and another 15 to get to the desktop once they type in
their password (which is usually absent) because of the fact they have 3500
or so adware, spyware, keyloggers, droppers, backdoors and whatnots
cavorting about within their machine committing such vile and assorted
programattic debaucheries that even Caligula would blush. *massive inhale*

The mother of one of my ex-gfs being the case in point here.

I fought and fought to get spybot search and destroy to run on that machine
(before reformatting) just to see how much crap it would find...it was
actually over 3500....

>>> The Internet seems to attract crazy people for some reason...
>>
>> But...but....*we're* on the internet... o.o
>
> Now, now... The inverse of a statement does not necessarily follow. ;-)
> Who said it was a logical biconditional?

I like those though, they just feel right. :-)

Off to complete my compositional analysis of HR Gigers "The Spell
IV"....damned classes...

ian