POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My toy Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:20:06 EDT (-0400)
  My toy (Message 26 to 35 of 85)
From: scott
Subject: Re: My toy
Date: 3 Mar 2009 08:27:17
Message: <49ad3035$1@news.povray.org>
> How long does it take to do a computer simulation to check that something
> won't break? How complicated is the process, and how much computer time
> does it take?

That sort of simulation is very quick and easy, only a few hours for a
moderately complicated part and then you get back data about the stress at
every point.

The harder simulations are the ones where you want to actually simulate some
dynamic force (like your product being dropped on the floor) and then of
course the simulator needs to deal with collisions and deformations.  These
sorts of simulations can take a long time to set up and run for days just to
simulate a fraction of a second.

> So... corrugated? Or something.

On the one I worked on we just bolted the base of the display to the car,
and then had two hooks at the back half way up that hooked into the car
mechanics (no screws).  That way when you pulled forward on the display the
hooks provided the strength and stiffness, and if you pushed back the hooks
did nothing so you were free to bend the bottom fixing points if you hit it
hard enough.

> Heh, yeah. I guess if you've made something similar before it helps a lot.
> ;-) I was just thinking, I imagine for "most" manufactured items, the
> designers probably have a basic intuition about roughly what thickness of
> metal is required. I don't suppose they do an exhaustive mathematical
> derrivation of optimal thickness for every single component ever designed.

It depends on the product and how critical it is, plus how many you are
making.  For something you are only making 1 of, like a bridge or a big
building, you will probably do a lot of calculations.  If you are planning
to make 10 million of something, you can probably just make a few hundred
test samples and have chance to optmise them if needed.

> Right. So you take an educated guess, and if the prototypes fall apart,
> you figure out which bit broke?

Yup, for car parts we usually have 3 rounds of prototypes before mass
production starts.

> Almost every platform known to man already has a C compiler - even if it
> has nothing else. The C compiler is typically the very first thing that
> gets built. ;-)

Someone still has to build it though in the first place.

Post a reply to this message

>> How long does it take to do a computer simulation to check that
>> something won't break? How complicated is the process, and how much
>> computer time does it take?
>
> That sort of simulation is very quick and easy, only a few hours for a
> moderately complicated part and then you get back data about the stress
> at every point.

Right. So not instantaneous, but not months of computer time either.

I take it there's more to it then just asking the computer "hey, will
this break if I put 25 N through it?"

> The harder simulations are the ones where you want to actually simulate
> some dynamic force (like your product being dropped on the floor) and
> then of course the simulator needs to deal with collisions and
> deformations.  These sorts of simulations can take a long time to set up
> and run for days just to simulate a fraction of a second.

At what point does it become cheaper to just make the thing rather than
simulate it?

>> So... corrugated? Or something.
>
> On the one I worked on we just bolted the base of the display to the
> car, and then had two hooks at the back half way up that hooked into the
> car mechanics (no screws).  That way when you pulled forward on the
> display the hooks provided the strength and stiffness, and if you pushed
> back the hooks did nothing so you were free to bend the bottom fixing
> points if you hit it hard enough.

Mmm, ingenious.

> It depends on the product and how critical it is, plus how many you are
> making.  For something you are only making 1 of, like a bridge or a big
> building, you will probably do a lot of calculations.  If you are
> planning to make 10 million of something, you can probably just make a
> few hundred test samples and have chance to optmise them if needed.

Well yeah, it's going to depend on how safety-critical it is. If you're
making a coathanger, probably not much need to test it. If you're making
a karabina... there are probably legal requirements for exhaustive testing.

>> Right. So you take an educated guess, and if the prototypes fall
>> apart, you figure out which bit broke?
>
> Yup, for car parts we usually have 3 rounds of prototypes before mass
> production starts.

One thing I always wondered... You see people doing all these crash
tests, right? So... where the hell do you get an endless supply of red
cars to crash into things?!

>> Almost every platform known to man already has a C compiler - even if
>> it has nothing else. The C compiler is typically the very first thing
>> that gets built. ;-)
>
> Someone still has to build it though in the first place.

Sure. But not the Haskell development team. ;-)

I would think it's by a cross-compiler though, yes. Indeed, some systems
are "too small" to run a C compiler natively, so you *must* cross-compile.

Post a reply to this message