POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My toy : Re: My toy Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:16:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My toy
From: Invisible
Date: 3 Mar 2009 08:43:28
Message: <49ad3400$1@news.povray.org>
>> How long does it take to do a computer simulation to check that
>> something won't break? How complicated is the process, and how much
>> computer time does it take?
>
> That sort of simulation is very quick and easy, only a few hours for a
> moderately complicated part and then you get back data about the stress
> at every point.

Right. So not instantaneous, but not months of computer time either.

I take it there's more to it then just asking the computer "hey, will
this break if I put 25 N through it?"

> The harder simulations are the ones where you want to actually simulate
> some dynamic force (like your product being dropped on the floor) and
> then of course the simulator needs to deal with collisions and
> deformations.  These sorts of simulations can take a long time to set up
> and run for days just to simulate a fraction of a second.

At what point does it become cheaper to just make the thing rather than
simulate it?

>> So... corrugated? Or something.
>
> On the one I worked on we just bolted the base of the display to the
> car, and then had two hooks at the back half way up that hooked into the
> car mechanics (no screws).  That way when you pulled forward on the
> display the hooks provided the strength and stiffness, and if you pushed
> back the hooks did nothing so you were free to bend the bottom fixing
> points if you hit it hard enough.

Mmm, ingenious.

> It depends on the product and how critical it is, plus how many you are
> making.  For something you are only making 1 of, like a bridge or a big
> building, you will probably do a lot of calculations.  If you are
> planning to make 10 million of something, you can probably just make a
> few hundred test samples and have chance to optmise them if needed.

Well yeah, it's going to depend on how safety-critical it is. If you're
making a coathanger, probably not much need to test it. If you're making
a karabina... there are probably legal requirements for exhaustive testing.

>> Right. So you take an educated guess, and if the prototypes fall
>> apart, you figure out which bit broke?
>
> Yup, for car parts we usually have 3 rounds of prototypes before mass
> production starts.

One thing I always wondered... You see people doing all these crash
tests, right? So... where the hell do you get an endless supply of red
cars to crash into things?!

>> Almost every platform known to man already has a C compiler - even if
>> it has nothing else. The C compiler is typically the very first thing
>> that gets built. ;-)
>
> Someone still has to build it though in the first place.

Sure. But not the Haskell development team. ;-)

I would think it's by a cross-compiler though, yes. Indeed, some systems
are "too small" to run a C compiler natively, so you *must* cross-compile.