POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My toy : Re: My toy Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:20:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My toy
From: Invisible
Date: 3 Mar 2009 10:28:20
Message: <49ad4c94$1@news.povray.org>
>> I take it there's more to it then just asking the computer "hey, will
>> this break if I put 25 N through it?"
>
> Not much more

Mmm, OK.

> just specify which parts are fixed (eg mounting brackets)
> and then tell it which surfaces to apply a force to.  It will then run
> some sort of iteration algorithm until it has "solved" the structure so
> that all internal forces are perfectly balanced.  Then you can just ask
> it for the maximum stress in the structure and see how big it is
> compared with the yield stress of the material...

I guess like you say, working out whether a component will snap under a
given load is much easier than determining (say) whether a car engine
will explode when you ignite petrol vapour inside it.

>> At what point does it become cheaper to just make the thing rather
>> than simulate it?
>
> Hmm, the first samples are always quite expensive to make because you
> are making so few of them, but usually it's more a time thing than
> money.

Ah, but time *is* money, because...

> of course the customer usually has a deadline for releasing the product

Even so, I'm kinda surprised at the lead-time for a prototype. Mind you,
I guess if you just want to build a model of something, that's quite
easy. If you want to build it out of the real materials for strength
test purposes, that's a tad slower...

> If you know
> something is critical to get right and you haven't done it much before,
> then you simulate it.

OK.

> Similar to how your steering wheel is connected to the wheels by a
> telescopic tube, so in the event of an accident the telescopic bits
> collapse rather than the rod coming through the front of the steering
> wheel and into your chest!  Although Jeremy Clarkson would say that
> would make people drive safer...

LOL! Well, Clarkson is a moron. ;-)

> Well yes, and then you get things inbetween, like the wrist strap for
> the Wii remote control, where for some reason they didn't realise it
> would snap if you pulled it hard.  I mean WTF how can you miss that
> one?  I would have thought they would have got some really strong guy to
> throw it around while measuring the force, and then made sure it could
> withstand double or something.  Maybe Japanese "strong guys" are not
> that strong :-)

Hehehe. Apparently the world record for the loudest human shout is held
my somebody from Japan or China. They're pretty crazy people, really.
Not sure how strong though...

>> One thing I always wondered... You see people doing all these crash
>> tests, right? So... where the hell do you get an endless supply of red
>> cars to crash into things?!
>
> A car factory?  They make lots of prototypes too for many different
> purposes, btw I don't think they have to crash very many to pass the
> official tests, maybe even only 1 car, IDK.

"And in this test, we're going to crash a new car into an 20-year old".
Uh, and where did you get that from, exactly?

Also, why do they already have to be painted random colours?