POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My toy Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:18:27 EDT (-0400)
  My toy (Message 11 to 20 of 85)
From: scott
Subject: Re: My toy
Date: 3 Mar 2009 05:32:42
Message: <49ad074a$1@news.povray.org>
> That's pretty mental, by the way. But what the hell *is* it??

A metal case that goes on the back of an LCD display.  Mainly to avoid
electrical interference between the LCD and other parts in the car, but also
for mechanical protection.  The pressed out lump in the centre is where
quite a few high components on the PCB are located, so it needs to provide
space for them, then there's two holes for connectors to go through, a
couple of features to make a good ground connection to the PCB, and various
clips and holes around the edge to securely fasten to the rest of the LCD.
Oh and of course some holes for screws to go through so the thing can be
fitted to the rest of the car!

> Also... how do you make something like that? It looks like you'd either
> have to mould it, or take a sheet of metal, bend it around a bit, cut
> windows and drill holes in it...

Yeh it's pressed metal, so you start with a blank sheet and then it goes
through a series of tools that bend and cut certain bits until the final
shape is produced (IIRC there's about 7 or 8 stages usually), no drilling -
the tools have sharp bits that cut the holes and other shapes, just like a
big hole-punch!

Post a reply to this message

>> That's pretty mental, by the way. But what the hell *is* it??
>
> A metal case that goes on the back of an LCD display.  Mainly to avoid
> electrical interference between the LCD and other parts in the car, but
> also for mechanical protection.  The pressed out lump in the centre is
> where quite a few high components on the PCB are located, so it needs to
> provide space for them, then there's two holes for connectors to go
> through, a couple of features to make a good ground connection to the
> PCB, and various clips and holes around the edge to securely fasten to
> the rest of the LCD. Oh and of course some holes for screws to go
> through so the thing can be fitted to the rest of the car!

...it's times like this that I realise other people have way more
interesting jobs than I do! ;-)

> Yeh it's pressed metal, so you start with a blank sheet and then it goes
> through a series of tools that bend and cut certain bits until the final
> shape is produced (IIRC there's about 7 or 8 stages usually)

Damn. That process must take some designing!

> no drilling - the tools have sharp bits that cut the holes and other
> shapes, just like a big hole-punch!

Heh. How thick is the metal??

Post a reply to this message