POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My toy : Re: My toy Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:20:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My toy
From: Invisible
Date: 3 Mar 2009 06:06:36
Message: <49ad0f3c$1@news.povray.org>
>> Damn. That process must take some designing!
>
> Yes, that's why the tools have ridiculous prices, usually with 6 or even
> sometimes 7 figures!  And then you realise why the guy gets annoyed when
> you ask for +/-0.1mm tolerance between two specific points :-)

actually. :-} I imagine the inside of one of those is somewhat more
complicated than a flat metal bracket.

>> Heh. How thick is the metal??
>
> Usually 0.3 - 0.6 mm depending on how big it is.

How strong is the metal? And how heavy? I mean, I guess it varies by
which particular alloy you use... Presumably somebody has already
tabulated this data? I imagine for a sufficiently small part, you can't
physically apply enough torque to it to actually bend it. (In normal
circumstances, at least.) I guess that's why small twigs sometimes seem
"stronger" than large branches...

> The tools are quite
> beefy though, see attached (that is just stage 4 out of 7), all the
> intricate detail in the middle is what actually makes the cuts and
> folds, the inner working of each stage can be quite complex with spring
> loaded plates and levers etc to do the bending correctly as the two
> halfs come together.

Hmm. And now I'm wondering... how do you manufacture the tool you use to
manufacture the thing you actually wanted to make in the first place? :-D