POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My toy : Re: My toy Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:20:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My toy
From: Invisible
Date: 3 Mar 2009 06:08:46
Message: <49ad0fbe$1@news.povray.org>
>> I'd almost consider trying to track down some software like this - if
>> it wasn't for the fact that I keep hearing that it costs a fortune and
>> crashes routinely...
>
> There used to be a really good free version of Pro/Engineer called
> Pro/Desktop, but unfortunately they stopped supporting it and I think
> you needed to get some registration key before it would work on your
> machine. Shame, because it was really nice and there really is no other
> decent free CAD software out there,

Mmm. Pitty.

I suppose notionally if I knew how it works, I could write something
myself. OTOH, I have yet to write a working Tic-Tac-Toe program, so...
maybe not. :-/

> and as you pointed out the
> commerical software is really expensive so not really suitable for home
> tinkering.

I guess they figure that if you're going to spent 7 figures *per tool*
to make your multi-part item, a few extra digits for a CAD package is
nothing... ;-)