POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My toy : Re: My toy Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:16:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My toy
From: Invisible
Date: 3 Mar 2009 05:46:37
Message: <49ad0a8d$1@news.povray.org>
>> I've often wondered how CAD manages to produce complex, detailed 3D
>> objects. I have yet to see a modeller that makes it feasible to
>> produce any moderately complex 3D shape.
>
> Yes, but have you actually seen anyone using commercial CAD software
> like Catia or Pro/Engineer? You know, the software that people who build
> planes and cars use?

No. And that's what I've always wondered about - given the complexity of
the stuff these guys produce, their modelling tools must surely be more
sophisticated in some way.

> eg here is a screen shot of a model from Boeing:
>
> http://www.nextcraft.com/media/aviation_technology/military_nasa/B737_catia_big.jpg

OK, that's fairly crazy.

> For example, the modelling process in a CAD package for that metal case
> I posted would be something like this:
> - Draw the outline cuboid shape
> - Add on extrusions and cuts for any bumps and dips
> - Add rounds to any edges
> - Shell the model (this leaves a shell of specified thickness, 2 clicks
> in CAD)
> - Add in holes where necessary
> - Add more rounds
> - Add in any clip geometry
>
> The CAD software remembers all that history used to generate the model,
> so you can always go back and change the shell thickness and everything
> else updates (or move the position of a bump etc).

I'd almost consider trying to track down some software like this - if it
wasn't for the fact that I keep hearing that it costs a fortune and
crashes routinely...