POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dr POV-Ray Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:10:54 EDT (-0400)
  Dr POV-Ray (Message 111 to 120 of 176)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Dr POV-Ray
Date: 22 Feb 2009 04:47:10
Message: <49a11f1e@news.povray.org>
>> 4. It is *highly* unlikely that having a PhD will make any kind of
>> positive change to my employment situation. Nobody is impressed by a
>> BSc, and I doubt a PhD will be any different. Everybody wants
>> "experience" and/or "people skills".
>
> Not true. If you're going for a technical position, even if it's
> unrelated to your field of study, the fact that you are capable of
> completing a PhD says a lot. It says you stick with the job, have a
> capacity and interest for learning, have experience in
> communication/dissemination, etc... and that's ignoring the
> field-specific skills.

Yes, but... having a BSc already says all those things. I spent 4 years
of my life studying for it, I learned all sorts of stuff, and in the end
I did actually get my BSc. And yet, nobody gives a **** about that. How
is a PhD different?

>>  8. Are you mental?
>
> I've got the wrong doctorate to answer that question impartially. :-)

LOL! Nice... :-)

> Speculative queries to research groups in fields that sound interesting
> are well worth it. You don't need to follow the impersonal rules of
> regular employment - if you find some prof with research interests that
> look your kind of thing, just email and ask for more information, and
> say what you're interested in. Worst case is they simply don't reply.

Well, maybe it's worth a giggle. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 22 Feb 2009 04:52:17
Message: <49a12051@news.povray.org>
>> See, I don't give a **** about solving real-world problems. I only
>> care about solving "interesting" problems. ;-)
>
> What's interesting? Compiler optimization? Mathematics?

Anything with a neat algorithm in it? ;-)

Heh, I don't know...

>> I don't think anybody is "working" with Haskell. (As in, getting paid
>> money to use it.) I could be wrong, but it seems pretty rare.
>
> The guy writing GHC is getting paid for it, isn't he?

Er, NO. Nobody gets paid to work on GHC, AFAIK. It's a volunteer-led
open-source project. (Although, as I have mentioned, the few companies
who are using Haskell in commercial code all seem to employ people who
are also GHC developers. But they aren't paid to work on GHC, as such.)

> In any case, by the time I graduated, I was pretty sick of the field I
> was studying. I went to interview at Bellcore, and they talked to me
> about it, and I said "I'm pretty sick of it, really."  And they asked
> "What would be more interesting?"  I said "Dunno. Multimedia?"  And
> that's where I got a job.

Heh, nice.

>> Possibly my sanity? :-} (Did you *see* the links I posted?)
>
> Yes. And you know what? Those are people who picked a bad advisor. Pick
> an advisor who is motivated to get you to graduate, and he'll help you
> do so.

Hmm. Seems to me that trying to set up a PhD is almost as verilous as
trying to set up a decent job. Except that PhDs are much rarer. :-}

>> Meh. I tried making a list of cool things, and it ended up having
>> entries like "complex numbers. Because you can calculate stuff with
>> them!" Pretty retarded, eh?
>
> Not really. Keep going, is all. Spend some time thinking about it.
> You're not going to come up with the cool stuff yourself in a couple hours.
>
> Now when you read stuff for fun, think about "why is this fun? What's
> cool about it?"  Give it a couple of weeks of gathering cool stuff.

Mmm, OK...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/